TV series, 1986
Period drama set in the days of the Witwatersrand gold rush. The series followed the parallel stories of Deborah von Albein, a beautiful and stubborn young woman, and her great-granddaughter Irene. In 1886, Deborah and her mother are forced off the family farm in the Western Cape, to the goldfields of what was fast becoming the new town of Johannesburg. Here Deborah falls in love with a dashing Irishman, Kit Malloy, who has already made his fortune and is one of the most influential men in the Transvaal. But instead, she marries Karel, the weak and spoilt son of mine magnate Kurt Mannheim. After Kurt's death, Deborah gains control over the family business and becomes one of the most powerful women in the country. This puts her in direct conflict with Kit. And yet, despite their family feud, two wars, betrayal, misunderstandings and lots of intrigue, Kit and Deborah seem destined to be together. Meanwhile, in 1986, Deborah's great-granddaughter Irene inherits her diaries. As she reads about her ancestor's life, she realises that their stories - and their love lives - are very similar. The series was based on the popular Springbok Radio serial of the early 1980s and was adapted for television in celebration of Johannesburg's centenary.
15 August 1986
Number of series:
Number of episodes:
The radio drama by Lerina Erasmus
Translation of title:
"The Mannheim Saga"
Cast and Crew:
|Sandra Prinsloo||Deborah Mannheim|
|Hans Strydom||Kit Malloy|
|Richard van der Westhuizen||Karel Mannheim|
|Lynne Maree||Irene Ramsey|
|Danie Joubert||Dawid Neethling|
|Percy Sieff||Kurt Mannheim|
|Trix Pienaar||Deborah's mother|
|Lisa Prinsloo||Deborah von Albein (as teenager)|
|Anna Neethling-Pohl||Sannie Pienaar|
|Alida Theron||Bess Pienaar|
|Karin Retief||Victoria Malloy|
|Lochner de Kock|
|Joey de Koker|
|Chris du Toit|
|Hans Nel||Art director|
|Tobie Swanepoel||Camera and lighting|
Original air date: 15 August 1986
In 1986, Irene Ramsay returns from America to claim her inheritance. She comes across the diaries of her great-grandmother, Deborah von Albein, and becomes riveted by the tale of this fiesty teenager whose greedy stepfather squanders her inheritance and forces the family into poverty.
- TV-Redaksie, Mannheim-Sage Binnekort oor TV. Die Burger, 30 Julie 1986, p.3.
- Hanlie Retief, Koos Roets se Reeks oor Johannesburg se 'Goue' Jare 'Die Mannheim-Sage' kon net Sowel Waar Wees. Die Burger, 15 Augustus 1986, p.8.
- 'Mannheim Sage' met Ontembare Deborah Terug. Die Burger Oos-Kaap, 13 Januarie 1994, p.5.
- Jan Liebenberg, Die Helkampe Herleef vir 'n Paar Minute. Keur, 24 Oktober 1986, pp.30-32.
- Zanné Greyvenstein, Sandra Prinsloo... Steeds die Grote aan Ons Sterrehemel. Keur, 22 Augustus 1986, pp.6-7.
- Paul Brinkman, 'Dit Was Hel!' Keur, 3 Oktober 1986, pp.18-19.
- 'Ek is maar Taamlik Vervelig,' sê Richard. Keur, 12 Desember 1986, pp.68-69.